Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Secrets of My Beauty Kit

    Beauty Kits........
        Ladies we all have them even if they don't have much in them.  I consider mine about the average size.  I love eye make-up, I don't use it all the time, and I don't use it because I feel like I need it to be beautiful.  I use it to express my artisticness.  The rest  is mostly all-natural products to help keep my skin and such healthy.  I figured I would share them with you.

  • Pumice Stone:   We all hate shaving, and some have even made the choice not to shave at all.  I shave because I like how my skin feels when it's smooth.  Reality is, shaving is very damaging to the skin, and doesn't always leave us so smooth.  We cut it leaving scars, it drys out our skin, and it also leads to the one thing I hate most; ingrown hairs.  They are painful at times and they look horrible.  There are tons of exfoliating products on the market and I have tried several with much disappointment.  While using a pumice stone on my callused hippie feet, I figured it couldn't hurt to try it on my legs.  I was shocked with my results!! the ingrown hairs were gone, and so was all the dead yucky skin.  In about a month of using it on my legs I saw huge improvement.  I usually shave in the tub, so I would soak for a few minutes allowing my skin and hair to soften.  Then I simply rub the pumice stone in a small circular motion all over my legs, and shaved as normal.
  • Hair Conditioner:  I am sure you are thinking I am going to tell you to use this on your hair, nope ;)  I use it as shaving cream!  When I first learned to shave I did what my mom did and used my dad's shaving cream.  Sure it is cheap enough, but I broke out all over my legs when I used it, so I switched to the women's variety with little success.  First I was having issues with certain kinds clogging my razor and this lead to nicks, and cuts :( I also broke out from using it.  So for a very long time I used body wash, I didn't break out but it didn't help the condition of my legs much.  I know now there are several kinds of body wash that would work better for this on the market today, but I grew up in a frugal family, and we didn't have as much selection on the market in my early teens.  One day while in the shower I had washed and conditioned my hair first to allow my leg hair to soften, and I dumped conditioner on my leg by accident. While trying to wash it off my leg it dawned on me!  Shaving cream!! So I gave it a shot and it worked great! I didn't have tons of nicks, and cuts, and it helped moisturize my skin!  Now don't go out and buy the expensive moisturizing conditioner, you can but it can really make a dent in the pocket book.  I usually just buy VO5 for dry hair it's less than a dollar a bottle and it will do the trick.
  • Coconut Oil:  I have seen the posts with 160 uses for this stuff, truth is, the uses for it are endless.  I use it as a night cream, lotion for my whole body, lip balm,  and many other things.  It even works great as a make-up remover.   http://wakeup-world.com/2012/03/02/160-uses-for-coconut-oil/   This link takes you to the post I read that kick-started my usage of coconut oil.  There are tons of sites and recipes for more uses, do a little research try a few out, and maybe you will invent a few of your own uses.  In my opinion you can't go wrong with coconut oil;)
  • Baby Wipes:  They work awesome as make-up remover! Plus I am not always in places with running water when camping so they are great for keeping hands and feet clean.  In high school I was in every musical and play as possible, and I had horrible acne problems from all of the make-up.  My mom didn't have any babies in the house anymore, but we always had baby wipes for trips and so on.  I was very tired after a dress rehearsal and didn't want to take away from my time sleeping grabbed a baby wipe and scrubbed off my face.  They light bulb turned on and I carried a travel sized package of baby wipes in my make-up kit from then on.  The best part being, I can get the mascara off and I am not getting soap in my eyes. Not to mention they are way cheaper than the make-up remover pads you can buy, and gentle on your skin.
  • Tea Tree Oil: I use this on blemishes and minor cuts.  The smell can be a little over-powering so I use it right before bed or days where I don't have to go anywhere.  It also tends to make my eyes burn a little so the zits that are close to my eyes I try to avoid.  It also works well for bug bites that itch or burn.  Dab on a tiny amount with a q-tip to the pimple, bug bite, or abrasion.
  • Aloe:  This helps with under eye bags, I would go with an organic variety 100% pure variety with no additives.  Now it won't zap away under eye bags but it can help when you stay up to late the night before around the campfire ;)
               *One thing I want to add..... massage is very good for a lot of things!  I learned this in my CNA classes ;) It helps increase circulation, which helps your skin stay healthy and stretchy.  Plus it helps relax you

No comments:

Post a Comment