Monday, August 20, 2012

Day 5: 40 bags Challenge

      It is the 5th day of my 40 bag challenge.  35 more days to go and I am doing awesome!  I am 4 days ahead of schedule!!
     Today's task was my kids' coat closet, and it was a MESS!!!  I usually go through and reorganize it every couple of months if not sooner and within a week of cleaning it, it is back to is usual state of disaster :(  This time I went through found a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit or that they have worn holes in giving me another bag to add to my total.  After cleaning out the stuff that is not staying at my house, I went through and pulled out the surplus that still fits or that was missing it's mate.  I came up with some new rules for the closet and tonight when my husband gets home he is going to do a little remodeling in it for me so I can better organize it.
     
      The new coat closet rules
  1. Each child will have one of each item/pair in the closet at a time.
  2. Each child will have a designated section.
  3. Items will be placed back in closet in an orderly fashion. NO MORE THROW AND GO!
  4. If it doesn't fit, don't throw it back in the closet. Take it to Mom!
  5. Dirty clothes do not belong in the closet. THIS MEANS SOCKS!
  6. The closet is only for Shoes/boots/sandals, no slippers; coats/jackets/snow pants, no sweat shirts; stocking caps/mittens/ski masks, no ball caps or gardening gloves.
  7. Chore clothes will have a designated spot in the basement, not in closet stinking up good coats and such.

    I am going to make a poster and put the rules up somewhere around the closet and hopefully they will follow them!   I am also going to get a color coded bin for each child to keep hats, mittens, and stuff like that in them. 
     The shoes is kind of an issue too, but I have a solution for that as well.  I figure they can keep their play shoes and cowboy boots in the closet and dress shoes they will keep in their rooms.  We also narrowed down the kids' shoes to one pair of cowboy boots each, one pair of sneakers each, and one pair of sandals each.  They don't need anymore than that plus shoes are not cheap! I just don't see the point in them having 20 pairs of shoes each that they will grow out of in a year or less.  My daughter does have some other shoes, but she keeps them in her closet in her room, and most of them are goodwill shoes or hand-me-downs. Slippers are a whole other conundrum with her, but I have a slipper fetish so I have no room to talk ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment